Originally constructed in 1895, the Grade B listed building was redeveloped behind the retained façade in 1991 by the then owner Aberdeen Standard. FORE purchased it with a short lease back to Aberdeen, with a view to refurbishing it once vacant.
The building extends over ground and six upper floors, plus two basement levels, and is used as offices and ground floor retail space. Floors of around 15,000 sq ft circle a dramatic full height central atrium. The landmark island site occupies a prime location within the city CBD, arguably the best located office in Glasgow.
The business plan was to turn 50 Bothwell Street into one of the best Grade A buildings in the city. Focused on reuse and embodied carbon, our plans involved a sensible upgrade of major services, and new facilities for cycling, fitness, and community space. Designs merged both the traditions of the retained sandstone façade along with a state-of-the-art, low carbon office refurbishment and cutting edge amenities.
With the plans in place, we sold the building rather than completing the work ourselves given the Covid-19 pandemic. The new owners are executing our vision of creating one of the very best retrofits in Scotland.